See the original post here for ‘how to’: Photography: Image Transfers onto Plaster
Earlier this year I experimented with transferring some images onto plaster. I printed the images using a laser printer, coated them with acrylic gel, and transferred them onto a plaster surface.
As planned, I kept them outside for the summer. They have been left outside on a windowsill since I made them so that they would degrade.
These are the original plaster images I made, on the day I produced them:
This is the self portrait version today:
And this is the version with the Hebrew text, which I have gently sanded:
So what’s happened? The plaster itself has started to disintegrate on the edges, although the main block of it is still totally solid. The image transfer has bubbled. In the portrait version I’ve left it alone, in the text version I have lightly sanded the surface to break up the bubbles so that the surface has a nice texture. It also looks like the colour of the surface has altered, it looks a bit colder, a bit more blue, but I’m aware that this might just be an effect of the lighting I’m using today.
They go some way to expressing ideas I originally wanted to communicate, and so I’m pleased with how they’ve turned out.
I’m going to leave them outside a bit longer, because the idea is that they start to disintegrate. It was a hot, dry summer and they’re in a relatively sheltered position from the sun, but they won’t be sheltered from the rain or cold. I suspect that the autumn weather will alter them a lot faster.